African Journal of Paediatric Surgery About APSON | PAPSA  
Home About us Editorial Board Current issue Search Archives Ahead Of Print Subscribe Instructions Submission Contact Login 
Users Online: 411Print this page  Email this page Bookmark this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size 
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 10  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 150-153

Tonsillectomy: Vasoconstrictive hydrolytic cold dissection method


1 Department of ENT Surgery, University of Abuja, Garki Abuja, Nigeria
2 ENT, Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, Nigeria
3 Department of Anaesthesia, Garki Hospital Abuja, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Titus S Ibekwe
Department of ENT Surgery, University of Abuja, PMB 117, Garki Abuja
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: We declare that there was no confl ict of interest or fi nancial support from any group towards this work.


DOI: 10.4103/0189-6725.115042

Rights and Permissions

Background: Tonsillectomy, a common paediatric otolaryngology procedure, has undergone several evolutionary trends in the surgical techniques aimed at minimizing complications and improving patients' satisfaction. Despite the technological advancements in this respect, search for an ideal method is still ongoing, and some authorities are reverting back to the conventional methods. We wish to introduce the "Vasoconstrictive hydrolytic cold dissection" (VHCD) method. Patients and Methods: The VHCD method was described, and the outcome measures in one hundred and thirty-five patients who had the procedures were presented in . Data entrance was done with SPSS 14. Results: A total 135 patients comprising of 107 children aged 1-12 years and 28 adolescents/adults aged 14-52 years were operated upon using the VHCD between March 2009 and July 2012 by the same teams of Surgeons and Anaesthetists. The average surgical time and blood volume losses were 15 minutes and 5 mls for children and 12 mins and 10 mls for adults/adolescents, respectively. There was a single case (0.7%) of post-tonsillar bleed (reactionary haemorrhage). The rest (99.3%) recorded nil haemorrhage within and beyond first 2 weeks post-surgery. Conclusions: Surgeons used to other techniques of tonsillectomies may not revert to the cold steel; however, those practicing CSM will benefit from VHCD. We hereby recommend this simple, cost-effective modification of the cold steel tonsillectomy, which appears to have made dissection easier and also minimizes haemorrhage, a common complication of tonsillectomy surgery. It is timely in the advent of increased advocacy towards reversal to the conventional method of tonsillectomy. A randomized control trial is required for further evaluation of this method.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2708    
    Printed40    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded181    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal